Beautiful B�s Baked Penne
Submitted by B
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon each dried oregano and basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5-6 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 8 ounces of Fiber Gourmet penne pasta
- 1-2 ounces dry red wine
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce freshly grated parmesan
- Garnish with shredded fresh basil
- Preheat a large (at least 3 quart) lidded pan or pot (medium high). Drizzle in olive oil to coat the pan, add beef or turkey. With a wooden spoon break up meat so it browns about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the grease if needed.
- Add dried herbs and onion, mix well with the meat. Saut� about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add garlic and saut� for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce into meat mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer, stir and cover, lower the heat and simmer about 30 minutes up to an hour.
- Two things to do while sauce is simmering. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill a big pot with water and bring to boil. Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil along with the penne to the boiling water. Cook the penne � of the time, so that it is very al dente.
- Before you drain the penne, add the red wine to the sauce and simmer a couple of minutes. Put the penne into 9 by 13inch baking dish and pour in as much sauce as you like. Mix the sauce and penne well and cover the top with the cheeses.
- Place dish in the bottom rack of oven and bake for 25 minutes or until top is bubbly and just starting to brown. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes and garnish with shredded fresh basil. Enjoy!