Cheesy Italian Pasta Bake w/ Veggies
Submitted by Judy
Makes 6 very generous servings
We often add sliced andoui sausage. Cooked shrimp, chicken or pork would also be good.
We love this. It prepares well ahead of time and I can leave it warming in the oven for my husband when I am working evenings. To us, the asparagus is a must, but you could really use other veggies. If using carrots - I'd precook them so they are softer.
- 1 box Fiber Gourmet penne or rotini
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off and cut into 1/3s pieces
- 1 cup canned or frozen artichoke hearts (drained if canned)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano or italian seasoning mix
- 1/4-1/2 cup cheese of choice shredded or crumbled (we love manchango, queso fresco or Parmesan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water and add pasta. 2 minutes prior to being done, add asparagus and artichoke hearts to the boiling water.
- BEFORE draining, reserve 1 cup of cooking water. Then drain pasta and veggies.
- Return reserved cooking water to the pan and add the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Return pasta and veggies to pan and stir to coat. Gently mix in the shredded/crumbled cheese.