Curley-Q Lasagna Toss
Submitted by Melissa Yates
- 1/2 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 chopped green pepper
- 2 28 oz cans crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp black pepper (less if you don�t like a little kick)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package fiber gourmet rotini pasta
- 16 oz part-skim ricotta
- 4 oz reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 eggs beaten (or sub 1/2 cup egg-beaters)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese divided
- Brown meats in sauce pot. When browned, add garlic and chopped green pepper/ Once garlic and pepper are tender, add canned tomatoes. Add spices, sugar and wine and simmer for at least 45 minutes.
- Boil rotini pasta as directed
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta, feta, romano and 1/2 mozzarella with eggs.
- When pasta is cooked, and sauce is thickened some, put 1 cup of sauce in bottom of a 13 X 9 pan. Place 1/3 of pasta in pan, cover with 1/2 of cheese mixture, 1/3 more pasta, some sauce, remaining cheese, last 1/3 of pasta, more sauce. Top with the saved 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 350. Remove foil and bake additional 10-15 minutes. Top with more romano cheese if desired.
- The cheese gets in the crevices of the rotini when baked and makes a great tasting lasagna w/o the hassle of long noodles and fitting them in the pan AS WELL AS the benefit of the great nutritionals that fiber gourmet offers!