Lady and the Prince Pasta
Like we learned at the movies, nothing says love like a big, steaming plate of spaghetti and meatballs. But, when this dish at a leading Italian restaurant packs in a whopping 2,430 calories, 128g of fat, 5,290mg of sodium and 207g of carbs (58 POINTS) loving this �tramp� of a dish isn�t worth the nutritional price. So how can we bring back that loving feeling? With this simple, healthy, colorful and tasty version that�s sure to be a hit�it�s amor�!
Submitted by Lesley Eichten
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 4 oz. uncooked Fiber Gourmet Tomato Fettuccini
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. green/yellow/red peppers, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 14.5 oz. can Italian-Style Diced Tomatoes
- Pepper, Italian Seasoning, to taste
- 8 Italian-Style Chicken or Turkey Meatballs, frozen, fully cooked
- Chopped Basil & Parmesan Cheese, to taste
- Cook Tomato Fettuccini according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in skillet set on medium-high.
- Add peppers to skillet, cook 3 minutes or until slightly softened (thawed if using frozen)
- Add tomatoes to peppers and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally. Add additional seasonings like pepper or Italian Seasoning if you desire.
- Place meatballs in microwave-save dish, cover and heat on High for 3 minutes. Carefully remove dish from microwave, stir � cup of tomato/pepper mix into meatballs, re-cover and microwave until heated through, another 1-2 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain and return to cooking pot. Pour tomato/pepper mix over pasta and toss.
- Divide the pasta into 2 dishes, place 4 meatballs on top of each.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil and/or parmesan cheese if desired.
Use other fresh seasonal vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash or onions in addition to or in place of the peppers�yum!
Brown ground chicken or turkey breast and add to tomato/veggie mix instead of using meatballs.