Make Ahead Nacho Casserole
Submitted by Lisa Howard-Monroe
This savory casserole incorporates all the flavors of a Southwestern favorite. It�s easy to make ahead for a simple weeknight dinner that the whole family will love. Serve with Corn Salad or a Tossed Salad for a complete, nutritious meal.
- � lb ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 8-oz package FiberGourmet Short Cut Fettuccine
- 1 can (10.75oz) fiesta cheese soup
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred jalapenos, drained
- 1 large handful of tortilla chips, lightly crumbled
- 1-1&1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Low fat sour cream (optional)
- Guacamole (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Drain well and mix with the cheese soup. Spread the noodle and soup mixture over the bottom of the 8X8 pan. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, fry ground turkey until no longer pink while breaking apart with a wooden spoon. Add taco seasoning packet and water. Mix well and bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Layer the seasoned meat over the noodle/soup mixture.
- Arrange sliced jalapenos in a single layer over the meat and sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheddar.
- Sprinkle the broken tortilla chips over the cheese layer.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- At this point the casserole may be covered with one layer of plastic wrap and one layer of heavy duty foil and frozen.
- Bake the freshly prepared casserole at 350F until heated through and cheese is melted. About 15-20 minutes.
- If cooking from frozen, remove plastic wrap, recover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.