Molto Bene Penne
Submitted by Sarah
I don't know what the nutritionals are on this - but my weight watchers recipe builder says it's four points if I make it into 8 small servings for lunch or 9 points if I divide it into 4 larger portions for dinner.
Okay - so I'm not like a chef or anything but this is my re-creation of one of my favorite pasta dishes - slimmed down and much healthier that how I used to make it with regular pasta, full fat sausage, a ton of cream and lots and lots of parmesan cheese. This is slimmed down using Fiber Gourmet (hooray!) laughing cow cheese and condensed fat free milk and just a little parmesan for a final taste note. As some one who recently discovered I have diabetes I have found fibergourmet to be my life saver! It's great for me to have pasta back in my life!
- 1 small box of FiberGourmet penne
- 1 container of lean turkey hot italian sausage
- 4 small wedges of laughing cow swiss cheese (I suppose you could use some other low fat cheese but this is a good substitute for the normal cream sauce this dish usually has)
- 1 small can of evaporated fat free milk (I usually use about less than 5 tablespoons so not that much but you have to judge this as you make it - just make sure that it is NOT SWEETENED - because the sweetened kind will ruin this recipe believe me. You might have to look for the fat free condensed milk - but it does exist.)
- 1 clamshell of baby spinach - or more if you love your spinach! Sometimes I even add other veggies if I want to bulk it up!
- 1 TBLS of olive oil red pepper flakes garlic and if you want some parmesan for garnish.
- Okay - so like I said I'm not a chef. But this is what I do. I put the water on to boil for the pasta (I add a little sea salt because even though I know I shouldn't cook with salt my Italian brother in law would be appalled if I didn't add any. So I add some to humor him.)
- While the water is heating up I saute the sausage, garlic and hot pepper flakes in another pan. Then I drain it.
- When the pasta is al dente I drain that too and add the sausage mix to it.
- While everything is still hot I add the spinach and the laughing cow cheese and toss well.
- If I need to have more a cream sauce (which you usually do because who doesn't love creamy pasta????) I start adding the condensed milk. I don't usually use the whole can because it's totally a consistancy thing - it's an art form!
- I taste for seasoning and serve it immediately.