Penne with Goat Cheesy Marinara
Submitted by Elise Dihlmann-Malzer
Serves 6, 1.33 oz. pasta and 1.5 cups sauce mix
Nutrition Information per serving: 292 calories, 6 weight watchers points
To reduce the fat and calories of this recipe, use olive oil flavored cooking spray instead of olive oil. Without olive oil this recipe is 252 calories and 5 weight watchers points per serving.
- 1 8 oz. box Fiber Gourmet light Penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups baby arugula, or regular arugula torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, or 1/2 Tbsp. dried
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 2 fully cooked chicken sausages, I used Trader Joe's Sundried Tomato
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large, deep skillet. (At the same time, heat salted water for pasta in a large pot)
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add next six ingredients (through salt). Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Add arugula and basil to marinara sauce, and stir until greens wilt.
- Crumble in goat cheese and stir until melted into sauce.
- Add chicken sausage and cook until warmed through.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a platter. Pour sauce over top.