A simple white sauce recipe, good for about 1 lb of pasta. Great with spinach pasta! From cooks.com
- 2 tbsp butter or Smart Beat margarine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cup milk, full fat or skim to save calories
- 1 cup of sharp grated cheese (optional)
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and whisk in flour and salt until smooth.
- Gradually stir in cold milk, cooking over direct heat and stirring constantly until sauce boils
- Reduce heat slightly and continue to stir until sauce becomes smooth and thick.
- When sauce thickens, simmer for an additional 10 minutes over very low heat, stirring occasionally to avoid lumps.
- Optionally add cheese for a sauce with more "kick"